This here? This here is what I did with the clams we picked up today in Ilwaco. And this here…was awesome.
- Large pinch of saffron
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 lbs small clams
- 1 tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- a dozen or so slices of Spanish chorizo (we used Chorizo Rioja from Olympic Provisions)
Crumble saffron into 1 cup of boiling water. Set aside to steep.
Heat olive oil in a large, shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots, and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add wine, and stir to loosen any bits from pan. Add reserved saffron broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and add clams, chopped tomato, and sliced chorizo. Stir to combine. Cover, and let steam until clams are opened, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and pepper, and serve immediately (with garlic bread).