Last night we made spicy steamed clams (using the clams we picked up in Newport on our way back from the Oregon Coast Aquarium). They were delicious. Here's the recipe if you're interested:
Spicy Steamed Clams
- 3 lbs. fresh clams
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled chorizo
- 1/8 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Cook chorizo ahead of time and set aside
- Rinse clams so they're free of grit…toss any that are open (and don't close when you tap 'em)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and stir until garlic starts to barely turn golden. Add pepper flakes, stirring in with the garlic, and then add the tomato paste and stir to combine everything together.
- Add the wine and clam juice and bring to a boil. Cook at a low boil until the liquid is reduced by a third, about 10 minutes. Add the clams and the chorizo, cover, and cook until clams open, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add parsley and stir to combine.
- Serve with crusty warm bread if you like…we didn't have any, but it would have been great with the broth.