Skip to content

Seattle to Tacoma in the Fog

Yesterday morning our friends Kathy and Pete met us at the boat and we cruised over to the town of Winslow on Bainbridge Island for some breakfast. The day was gray and the water was a bit choppy, but we had a totally fun cruise!

We tied up at the City Dock in Winslow and then walked over to Doc's Marina Grill for breakfast. (I'm pretty sure Kevin and I were the only ones not wearing Seahawks jerseys. For real.)


Breakfast was really good (Kevin and I both had the Dungeness Crab Eggs Benedict, and I added spinach and tomato to mine). (There's also a Doc's Marine Grill at the Point Hudson Marina in Port Townsend, but I don't remember the food being as good at that location.)

We got back to Seattle at around 1pm so Kathy and Pete could make it to their friends' Super Bowl party, and Kevin and I walked about a mile up to a hardware store (closing at 3 for The Game) to pick up an 8mm hex wrench so we could install our new anchor (priorities, man).

The anchor swap went smoothly and the Rocna looks great on the bow of Airship (not as great as the super shiny $1800 stainless steel version would look, but apparently stainless is for people who don't anchor, and we plan to anchor…plus, an extra $1500 for stainless steel hardly seems necessary).

We whipped up some Super Bowl snacks (homemade guacamole, tortilla chips, and stuffed bacon-wrapped jalapenos) and watched the game on Airship (in the mostly deserted marina):


There were fireworks from the Space Needle at half time (and again after the game, which seemed weird since the Seahawks lost, but maybe they had leftover fireworks loaded and just needed to shoot 'em off already, loss or no loss). 

After the game we had more visitors (Bee and Bob, who live over on Mercer Island…hi guys!) and we grilled up some fresh salmon for some salmon tacos. I made a slaw with cabbage, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, chili powder, and pomegranate seeds (invented on-the-spot, turned out great!), and some frijoles negros. Fun visit and a nice last night in Seattle.

This morning we headed out at about 10am for a gray, drizzly, foggy cruise south to Tacoma. I piloted the boat while Kevin worked on finishing his article for this week. (That's getting to be a common cruise mode for us…me at the helm, Kevin working on his laptop next to me.) 🙂




It was super foggy, and visibility was quite limited much of the time. We have good navigation tools though (radar, GPS, AIS) and it's always good to get more practice using radar!


As we entered the Thea Foss Waterway (the waterway running north-south, immediately east of downtown Tacoma):



We're moored at the Dock Street Marina now (doing laundry!!) directly in front of the Tacoma Glass Museum (Airship's got a new hat!):



We'd planned to hit the glass museum tomorrow, but it turns out they're closed on Tuesdays as well as Mondays, so either we'll go on Wednesday morning before we take off, or we'll skip it this time (since we've been before). We may try to get over to the LeMay Car Museum while we're here though. 

View from the boat tonight:


And here's our route from today (30.2 nautical miles):

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 5.59.42 PM